Friday 30 May 2014

Interesting Things - 05/2014

Space: Above and Beyond

A TV series that I would like to see. I was a big fan of shows made in the mid-late 1990's, as those were the one's I discovered in a frenzy and had a significant influence on my sci-fi interests today. These shows include X-Files, Animorphs,  Perhaps Space: Above and Beyond will be a good show to invest time in. 

Writing Inspiration - fantasy creatures roleplaying as humans

An interesting and fun concept to consider.

The SunFriend - UV Exposure Monitor

 
I have been dreaming of this technology for years now as I continue my on-going battle with the sun. I am so excited that it can finally be mine (link). The only problem is that it appears the watch only goes up to 11 on the UV scale. While this will only be useful for the time of year between Summer and Mid-Autumn, I still consider it a worthy investment. In Perth during the Summer peak, we get into alarming rates, as seen below:

Source: http://www.arpansa.gov.au/uvindex/monthly/perjan2014summ.htm

The World as 100 People

This was most interesting to view, as it put a lot of the public health goals and achievements to date into perspective. It offers an opportunity to view the world as a whole and really aids in my ability to visualise and theorise on the tasks that lie ahead in order to overcome the inequirites that is of current concern.

Those I considered most alarming:
  • 12% no religion
  • 7% have a college degree
  • 70% can’t access the Internet
  • 48% live on <US$1 a day
  • 21% overweight – / 1% starving
  • 15% undernourished
  • 23% have no shelter 
Source: http://visual.ly/world-100-people

No comments:

Post a Comment