Monday 2 June 2014

How I begin to wade the waters to new music genre territory.

During my young formative music discovery years, I had always been interested in the fringes of blues, jazz, and experimental, but wasn't really too sure how to approach it. I likened it to a sense of not being ready for certain aspects of the genres; complex rhythms, strong emphasis on sound, vast history and cultural significance, and the difficulties of knowing where to start.

I look for music fans that get so excited about their genre that they are excited to speak with you about it on a level deeper than most general music conversation. It is an approach that works well for me as I approach the doors of a new sound. I've been lucky in finding a few associations such as these in the past few years. 

One dear friend and future groovy sister helped me to become more familiar with the sounds I had a curiosity about; through dinner parties, gifts, CD lending, recommendations and open access to browse her (and my brothers) collection. I was able to 'weed out' sounds I wasn't really keen on - in effort to hone in on what I was really looking for. This search of mine led to the following that now rotate in stereo time and are a stepping stone to other alternative artists I hear from time to time on FM frequency radio. I find myself approaching the genres with a little more confidence having met and pursued that connection with an excited fan. 




No comments:

Post a Comment