Monday 19 May 2014

Godspeed You! Black Emperor

No matter the length of time, or the development of the self... Godspeed You! Black Emperor manages to creep in to assess, remind and expose me to deep emotions and how I am faring against these dark horses.

I looked to the moon the other night in awe, appreciation and wonder... only to be reminded that I have done that many times before in completely different situations. I was living single and alone in Canary Place. Sherwood was a tumultuousness and difficult, a vast and authentically sad experience. The sadness still triggers at my heart. Track 01. 06:00

I was seated at a lunch table. It was Honours year. I was with Nietzsche, my friend with Heidegger. He told me he had a Godspeed tattoo, it was devastatingly beautiful, Lifting Your Skinny Fists like Antennas to the Sky

I was so lucky to have seen GY!BE, with acceptance that I would never see them due to their isolation and long-term hiatus and by the fact I live in an isolated and distant city of foreign land. But... in February, 2013, I saw Godspeed in concert at Perth International Festival in the Chevron Gardens. It blew my mind. I met with my dear Philosophy friends for a drink, another drink and eventually we were standing eagerly and awaiting... predicting... and getting so very excited about the sound. 






It was perfect. The reality of the fantasy was far more beautiful and far more communal that I had anticipated, and I was thrown into this beautiful gig with a late Summer evening and $11 sparkling wine. The t-shirt cost me a fortune, but I wear it lovingly in bed. I listed to Godspeed on these lonely 2014 evenings, and it sends me in a spiral of self-awareness and soundtrack to a snapshot of how my emotional life is going. 

I just love your music, Godspeed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment